Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lemon Rosemary Shrimp Skewers




For several years now I have written food related articles with recipes for the Local Flavor section of "House and Home" magazine. Today's recipe is one that I originally ran in an issue focused on tailgate foods. Easy to set up ahead of time, and quick to grill, these delicious shrimp skewers are kicked in the pants with the strong flavor of rosemary and livened up with FRESH lemon. Hear me now and taste me later, fresh lemon is absolutely essential in all types of culinary pursuits. It will make all the difference and a bowl of fresh lemons is no harder to keep around than that darn plastic lemon thingy with what used to be real lemon juice, then it was abused and sold back to consumers as "real" lemon juice. What a travesty the those plastic fruits have committed in nullifying the palates of folks until they don't even know there is a difference!
OK, so let me get off that soap box and give out some credit. The photographer for the aforementioned magazine is Melissa Ovianki, and she is responsible for some of the food pics I have posted on the blog. We make a pretty good team I would say!


YIELD: 4 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS:

4 12” bamboo or metal skewers
32 medium size shrimp (21-25 count)
¼ small white onion
4 large fresh basil leaves
2 small cloves fresh garlic
3" sprig of fresh rosemary, de-stemmed
½ cup olive oil (not necessary to be EVO)
1 tsp. green jalapeno pepper sauce
juice of 1 lemon
kosher salt & pepper to taste


TECHNIQUE:

Thread 8 shrimp onto each skewer in the same direction each time to promote even cooking. While keeping the shrimp chilled, make the marinade by combining all remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Coat the skewers with the marinade, and refrigerate up to 12 hours before grilling. Just before grilling, season with Kosher salt and black pepper. Spray or rub grill lightly with oil, then grill approx. 2 minutes on each side.


Chef Mikes Notes:
A.K.A. Skewers 101

Metal skewers offer several advantages such as heat retention, lack of splinters, and they are reusable. Bamboo skewers are inexpensive, disposable, and are easier to handle right off the grill but have a tendency to burn on the ends. Either way, the shrimp will be the star of the show. As far as soaking your wood skewers, it can't hurt. But in my experience it won't help all that much either. As far as those new fangled flavored skewers I have seen in stores lately, all I can think is... "really?!".

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I clicked on your ebay site, but the page says your store doesn't exist. I can't find any photos or descriptions of your product or how to order them. I have two of your blends, both of which I like, but I can't recall where I bought them or whether someone gave them to me. There are no locations as to where your blends may be purchased.

    Where do I look for this info?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger, thanks for the interest in our seasonings. Please see the updated SEASONINGS BLENDS link on the homepage for ordering information. Enjoy!

    chef mike

    ReplyDelete

Greetings fellow foodie,

thanks for taking the time to comment on our work. Contact us if you have a specific food or topic you would like us to cover on the blog and enjoy!

Chef Mike